Fast Facts about VITAS
Here are some facts and figures about VITAS Healthcare:
- VITAS has more than 40 years of experience in hospice care and is the nation's largest single-source provider of end-of-life care.
- The name VITAS is pronounced VEE-tahs and is derived from the Latin word for "lives."
- 12,262 VITAS professionals provide care to approximately 19,215 patients daily throughout 14 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
- VITAS is a Founding Benefactor of the Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, the nation’s first comprehensive institute for the advancement of research, education and caregiving for those near death.
- The authoritative hospice text, originally published in 2002 and reprinted in 2011 as End of Life Care: A Practical Guide, was compiled by VITAS Chief Medical Officer Barry M. Kinzbrunner, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, with contributions by 19 VITAS clinicians—from physicians to chaplains, and every hospice discipline in between.
- VITAS has won the Trailblazer Health Award presented by the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition in recognition of VITAS’ ongoing efforts to expand awareness of and access to hospice services for African Americans.
- VITAS Healthcare provided $13 million in genuine charity care to hospice patients nationwide in 2019. This represents an average of 1 percent of our gross revenues—a ratio that few, if any, hospice providers can match.
- 4,764 trained VITAS volunteers provided 333,442 hours of care during 2019.
Last updated: May 2020
VITAS has been a pioneer in hospice care since 1978.
Was this page helpful?